Monday 21 July 2014

Meet your Wise Owls!

The Big Brownie Birthday Euro Hop events are the first international trips for Brownies that Girlguiding has planned and run at a national level. One of our main objectives, apart from providing Brownies with an amazing opportunity, was to encourage and support Brownie leaders to take their first steps travelling abroad with their unit.

In order to do this, we have given leaders a support network of experienced leaders from around the United Kingdom, who are sharing their knowledge and supporting them on their trips. We have called these leaders our "Wise Owls" after the Wise Owl in the Brownie Story!

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to your Wise Owls and to thank them for giving up their time to help the 21 leaders who are completing their Travelling Abroad Module of the residential qualification and all the other leaders taking part in these trips.

The Girlguiding International Team would also like to thank every leader taking girls on these events - without your time and effort girls would not have these amazing opportunities.
To quote a parent from my own unit in an email I received today "I'm sure I speak for all the parents when I say we are so grateful for such an amazing opportunity for the girls which will provide memories for a lifetime". I'm sure there are hundreds of other parents who would echo that sentiment.

Rebecca Cook
I am the Lead Volunteer for Euro Hop, and have been planning this event with the Events Team at CHQ and Venture Abroad for the last 2 years. I am also the Deputy International Commissioner for Girlguiding.
I'm a Brownie leader in York and have been for over 20 years (although I have been a member since I was 7!) and I am very much looking forward to taking some of my Brownies on this exciting trip with me.
I've travelled to a variety of places with Girlguiding and these include India, Bermuda, Mexico, Antigua and Barbuda, Belgium, Germany and Montserrat and outside of Guiding to many more, including a spell living abroad in Germany and working in Poland.

Mary Allsopp
I have been a leader for 28 years with Brownies and 14 years with Guides. I have taken my guide unit to Switzerland, Denmark and Belgium. I've camped and pack holidayed over most of the UK and also visited 3 of the 4 World Centres. On returning from this Euro Hop adventure I'm taking my own guides to our county's international camp, welcoming guides from around the world!


Cat Basey
I'm Catriona or Cat for short.  In my working life I am a Solicitor at a firm in Liverpool, though I live and Guide in Wrexham, Wales.
In my Guiding life I am currently an Assistant Guide Leader and have been there since September.  I was previously a Rainbow Leader for 16 years. I am also International Adviser for my County. 
My travel experience within guiding is quite broad.  In 2006, I was an Assistant Leader with a Wales contingent that went to Canada, then in 2009 I spent a month in Egypt on a GOLD project with 5 other leaders.
In 2011, I was part of a leadership team, that took a group of 15 Welsh guides on the ICE project to Bournemouth and in 2012 I was the leader of a group from Wales travelling to Germany.
Outside of Guiding I have travelled to Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, France, Greece, America and Australia. 



Maureen Goodyear
Guiding is a bit part of my life and I’ve been a Rainbow and Brownie leader in Peterborough for over 20 years.  At the moment I look after a Division and am also part of Cambridgeshire West County Finance Team.
I’m married to Terry and have a daughter, Rebecca, who lives in London and has a PR Company and blog.
A few years ago I was part of a Management Buy Out team, with two colleagues, and now have the scary job of being Finance Director in a Company I part-own!  We are project managers and consultants in the waste industry.

I like travelling and the countries I have visited include Mexico (Our Cabana), China, Galapagos Islands, Peru and Zambia.  I try to go swimming at least twice a week and also find time for geo-caching and listening to music - not at the same time though!

Anna Bourne
I'm a Guide and Senior Section leader in West Glamorgan and Surrey West.
I'm also currently the GOLD coordinator for Girlguiding, overseeing our international development projects (http://www.girlguiding.org.uk/about_us/international_guiding/gold.)
I've been abroad with Girlguiding to France, Italy, Switzerland, Madagascar, Argentina, Brazil, Cambodia, Guyana and Peru.
I'm really looking forward to supporting the Euro Hop leaders in giving their Brownies an international guiding experience full of fun!

In my real work, I'm a research scientist studying volcanic ash and past climate change.

Caroline Davis
I'm the International Commissioner for Girlguiding and I'm really looking forward to joining Euro Hop groups on their travels over 15-18 August. The World Conference (see the blog at  http://guidinggoestohk.blogspot.co.uk) just last week was a reminder of the impact that our worldwide organisation makes on the lives of girls and young women across 145 countries. I'm sure Euro Hop will be a fantastic opportunity to open the eyes of girls to the adventures they can have overseas with guiding.
 
I know many volunteers have worked tremendously hard to give Brownies Euro Hop experiences and I can't wait to see them rewarded through the excitement to come!

Judi Edwards
I have been in guiding since a guide but was never a brownie (I see this as my chance!).
I'm a retired teacher and I love the out of doors, camping and especially walking in the Yorkshire dales and Lake District.
I enjoys travelling to new places and meeting new people - Euro Hop is another opportunity to do this!
I have a grown up family which I am very proud of and we have always had animals (currently an elderly ginger cat and two rescue rabbits).

No comments:

Post a Comment